Novation Dicer: Cue Point & Looping control for the digital DJ.
Novation Dicer provides compact Cue Point and Looping control for the digital DJ. Supplied in pairs, the compact USB-powered devices are compatible with any Scratch Live setup, whether using turntables or CDJs. Locking straight into the Technics SL 1200 series’ 45-adapter hole, the two Dicers place backlit soft-touch ‘dice’ buttons right where they’re needed - on the decks, just inches away from the vinyl.
Don’t use Technics? Dicer’s 45-adapter mounts also detach, and with Novation’s reusable ‘DJ putty’, they can slot into even the most cramped of DJ performance set-ups, sticking directly onto CDJs, the mixer, your laptop, or anywhere you can think to put them.
Dicer is plug and play – there are no drivers to install and no setup required. All your favourite Serato cueing and looping functions have been pre-programmed by Serato themselves. Just load up Serato Scratch Live, plug-in your Dicers and you’re ready to roll. For the more advanced Serato Scratch user, 20 extra functions can be assigned however you like; triggering samples for example.
Each Dicer features five ‘dice’ buttons that hook into cue point and looping control within Serato Scratch Live. You can jump between three performance modes at the touch of a button. The first of these is ‘Hot Cues’. Each of the five triggers can be quickly set to different cue points in the track, ready to be triggered at will.
Dicer is also ready to control Serato’s ‘Auto Loop’ and ‘Loop Roll’ functions. In Auto Loop, the five ‘dice’ buttons are assigned to loops of varying lengths to be activated during playback. Loop Roll takes control of repeatedly halving the loop length, with five steps assigned to the five buttons, from 1 beat down to 1/16 of a beat, delivering the ubiquitous ‘stutter roll’ effect so popular with today’s digital DJs. Default loop lengths provide a great starting point, but of course, each of Dicer’s five buttons can be set to have any length available.
Dicer is also fully MIDI assignable. The five ‘dice’ buttons combine with the three smaller mode buttons and a shift feature to provide up to 60 functions from a pair of Dicers. These can be assigned to work however you want them to, within almost any DJ software, including Traktor Scratch Pro. They can also be used to control a standalone sampler, trigger drum software, or even browse through your playlist.
Dicers come in pairs and work over a single USB port, with a mini jack cable to transmit data and power between them, providing dedicated control for each deck over a single L-shaped micro USB cable connected to the computer.
With Dicer, setting cue points and triggering loops is now closer to hand than it’s ever been, helping you take your DJ performance to the next level. Finally you have the control you need, where you need it, ready to make the most of your Digital DJ software.
Novation Dicer main features include:
- Cue Point & Looping control for the digital DJ
- Performance buttons with visual feedback
- Backlit multi-colour soft-touch ‘dice’ buttons, ideal for performing Cue point and looping functions, provide constant visual feedback of their status.
- Locks straight onto the Technics SL 1200 series, and similar decks
- With Novation’s reusable ‘DJ putty’, the Dicers can slot into even the most cramped of DJ performance set-ups, sticking cleanly and directly onto your CDJs, Mixer or Laptop.
- Default set-up for Serato Scratch Live: Dicer is pre-programmed to take advantage of the cue point and looping functions in Serato Scratch Live, including ‘Hot Cues’, ‘Auto Roll’ and ‘Loop Roll’.
- Works with all major DJ software titles
- Fully MIDI assignable, can be set up to control almost any software, including Tractor Scratch Pro.
- Up to 60 assignable MIDI are available from a pair of Dicers.
- USB bus-powered: Dicer gets all the power it needs from a single USB cable, with no need for an external power supply.
- Mini Jack cable transmits power and data to the second Dicer.
- Ready-made setup files for other DJ software: Quick setup files for the major DJ software titles, including Traktor Scratch Pro, are available to download for free.
- A Fully class compliant MIDI device: Dicer is a plug and play device. No Drivers are required.
- Single Dicer dimensions: W & D = 90 mm / 3.5 “; H = 13 mm / 0.5“. Weight: 72 g / 0.16 lbs
- Package includes two Dicer units, 1 x USB Cable (1.5 metre, USB Type A to microUSB Type B), 1 x 60mm ‘DJ Putty’ with cover and bag, 1 x link mini jack cable (1.5 metre) for connecting the units plus instructions.