The Korg Volca Beats Rhythm Machine is an analogue drum synth and an Electribe style sequencer in a compact, battery powered form.
With a tip of the hat to the analogue grooveboxes of yesteryear, the Volca Beats brings the power and fat sounds of analogue drum machines that integrate into your DAW environment via MIDI. Featuring analogue oscillators for the Kick, Snare, Toms and Hi Hats, the Volca Beats brings you a distinctive tone where acoustic drums fall short. There are also controls for crafting the individual sounds, including click, pitch and decay meaning you can tailor the overall sound to the music material.
Korg has also included a PCM engine, covering the percussion, clap, claves, agogo and crash. The engine has been developed for a Lo-Fi and rough sound to add character to the overall instrument and compliment the analogue drum section with controls for pitch and speed.
The Volca Beats also includes an Electribe-style sequencer for the easy input of rhythm patterns. You can use each of the 16 step keys per voice to enter the notes as the sequencer is running, getting visual feedback from the LEDs within the measure. There’s also a stutter function to add drum rolls and delay effects.
The main highlights of the Volca Beats include:
- Real analog sounds created with reference to classic rhythm machines
- Maximum effect from minimal parameters - a unique advantage of analog
- PCM sound engine expands possibilities when used with analog sounds
- Loop sequencer distilled from the Electribe series
- The Electribe series step sequencer
- Stutter function generates repeated triggers that dramatically change the sequence
- Active Step function generates new bass lines by removing or inserting steps.
- Step Jump function instantly plays only the step you're pressing
- Convenient functions for incredible ease of use
- SYNC jack and MIDI IN connector allow synchronized performances with multiple units or with your DAW
- Compact size, battery-powered operation, and built-in speaker for enjoyment anywhere