The Avantone MixCube is a shielded, full-range studio mini-reference monitor.The design of the Avantone MixCube is inspired by the legacy of the 5C Sound Cubes used in virtually all-major studios for the last 25 years. Ten months of R&D comparative listening & tweaking went into the voicing of the Avantone MixCube. The result is a very smooth sounding, full range upgrade from the original 5C Sound Cubes.
Listening tests reveal that the Avantone MixCubes have a smooth, more open, transparent top end response with extended bass while maintaining their basic original character.
Recommended power rating is 50-200 watts of solid state power or 10-100 watts of tube power. It is advisable to use a high quality studio-grade power amplifier. The metal binding posts on the rear of the speaker can accept bare wire, spade lugs, or single or dual banana plugs. It is best to use 12 -16 AWG wire for runs longer than 6 feet.
When positioning the Avantone MixCube on stands or console bridges it is best to keep them at ear level and slightly angled in towards the engineer. Since they are shielded it is ok to place them near a CRT video monitor or TV without causing any problems. The bottom mic stand mounts will also allow you creative positioning options in unusual studio playback situations.
Avantone MixCube main features include:
- 5.25" Shielded Passive Full range 8 ohm drivers
- 6 1/2" Cube Cabinet with multiple coats of "Retro-Cream" High Gloss lacquer finish
- Precision-milled high-rigidity MDF Cabinet sides & Baffle for low resonance
- Radiused corners & edges reduce edge diffraction for better imaging
- Custom Paper Cone is crafted using New Zealand pulp with mica fibers added for light weight & rigidity
- Cloth surround made in Japan to uniform thickness tolerances
- Top Plate and T-Yoke of driver are made of Sumitomo 1008 low carbon steel
- The 43oz. low distortion motor structure magnets are Y- 40 GRADE (MIL-SPEC)
- High-Rigidity DIE CAST Aluminum frame with polished mounting bezel
- Nickel Plated "high-end" binding posts (properly spaced for dual banana plugs)
- Anodized milled Aluminum Terminal Plate
- 1/4" soft Neoprene Pad is recessed into the cabinet base to serve as a non-skid acoustic isolator
- Standard size (5/8"- 27 threading) female microphone stand mount is built into the cabinet base