The Golden Age Comp 54 MK2 is a single channel, vintage style compressor with the same circuit as the MK1, but adding an insert jack for connecting a unit such as the Golden Age EQ73.
The Comp 54 is the ultimate solution for adding thickness and warmth, or to make things sound more ‘analogue’, you can even switch out the compressor completely to benefit from the warmth of the transformer circuit without changing the dynamics.
The Comp 54 features controls for threshold, ratio, attack, release, make-up gain and also a control for a high pass filter which switches frequencies out of the compressor detector circuit. This allows the bottom end to pass through unaffected. The metering can be switched to monitor the level of gain reduction as well as the overall output level. If you want to use the unit in stereo, you can link two units together and select the Link switch.
The main features of the Golden Age COMP 54 MK 2 include:
- Vintage style electronics.
- Based on classic diode bridge designs.
- Transformer balanced I/O´s.
- Prepared for transformer upgrade.
- Flexible control range for Ratio, Attack and Release.
- All controls except the Gain make-up one are stepped.
- Three selectable Sidechain filter frequencies.
- Separate Bypass and Compression IN/OUT switches.
- Meter selectable for Output and Gain Reduction.
- Possibility to Link two units for stereo operation.
- Separate in- and output XLR and TRS jacks for flexible connections.
- Back panel switch for 600 Ohm termination.
- External power supply to avoid interaction with the audio circuitry and the transformers.
- Great sound that suits most sound sources and genres.
- A solid build quality that will last many years of normal use.