The Roland MX-1 Aira Performance Mixer has been engineered to be the nerve centre of your music rig combing elements of a mixer, control surface, audio interface and a step based effector. Your synths, drum machines, loops, DAW tracks and many more are all brought together into this single performance-optimized mixing instrument. It's a mixer you can play, and so much more.
The MX-1 brings together a wide range of music sources and brings them to your fingertips. Being the main input of control, the faders have a premium, smooth feel to them and have six different volume curves available. An adjustable tone/filter knob with ten types of filters is found with every channel along with, EQs, and isolators. Mute buttons are place underneath the faders for quick and easy access and are LED lit, along with the faders to clearly show their status, no matter how dark the environment.
Smoothly mix in any source with the DJ-style headphone monitoring cue. Separate headphone and master volume knobs along with smooth, bright metering keep levels firmly in check. And all this, including all the FX configurations and settings, can be saved and recalled for instant access.
Effects play a huge part in creating unique and defining music, and the MX-1 integrates effects in exciting ways. Not only do they sound great, they're easy to use and thanks to tempo awareness and the TR-style step interface, manipulation and rhythmic sensibility is a breeze.
Each channel has its own Beat FX including side chain, filter and slicer. As-well-as these built in effect, the MX-1 has the ability to feed in external effects using an AUX send. These are assigned to Roland drum machine style TR-style step sequencer buttons. and allows you to independently filter, duck, and slice each channel. Beat FX can be instantly switched on and off per channel via illuminated buttons. Six kinds of Master FX can be step-sequenced in various combinations, creating stunning movement and glitchy interludes that must be heard to be fully appreciated.
Not only do computers play a big role in production, they have increasingly been playing a role in live performance. But computers don't always integrate that well with other instruments, usually requiring their own interface and controller. The MX-1, through its ability to operate in any one of three modes, addresses these problems.
In Control Surface mode, the MX-1 acts has a high quality MIDI controller for your DAW. Whilst in Mixer mode, the MX-1 can mix all connected sources, including analogue and digital inputs, AIRA gear, and your computer’s output. The MX-1 can send all its inputs directly to your DAW whilst in External mode. At the same time as doing this, it can mix 18 channels back from your DAW using the MX-1's faders. This allows you to use various functions of your DAW along with t he MX-1’s cue monitoring, sync, and performance-optimized mixing and effects capabilities.
Four individual 1/4" jacks supports most instruments and the stereo 1/8" jacks is perfect for tablets, smartphones and other gadgets. Using your AIRA gear with the MX-1 has been made easy with the four AIRA Link USB ports. With fully automatic detection, AIRA Link USB ports transmit audio, MIDI, and sync over a single USB cable. One of these ports provides bus power for a compatible AIRA device. The MX-1 is also time aware and gives you hands-on control of start, stop, tempo, and timing. Using MIDI or AIRA Link you can sync a variety of music devices and then control them with the brightly lit TR-style start/stop button and large tempo knob with fine adjustment, shuffle control, and tap function.
As much as the MX-1 can do all this, it wouldn't be anything if it was confusing or cumbersome to use. But the mixing and effects have been cleverly implemented making everything fast, immediate, and intuitive. Furthermore, there are no confusing and possibly annoying menus or layered to slow you down. The MX-1 has been designed to played, and with it, you will.
The main features of the Roland MX-1 Aira Performance Mixer include:
- 18 channel performance mixer with step-sequenced FX, transport, and tempo control
- Three kinds of step-sequenced Beat FX (Filter, Side Chain, Slicer) with TR-style buttons
- Six kinds of Master FX (48 variations) with large performance control knob
- Beat FX and Master FX can be applied to any or all inputs; Beat FX are per channel
- Combi mode rhythmically alternates the Master FX using the step-sequencer
- Four AIRA Link USB ports support audio, MIDI, sync, and bus power (on Port 3) for AIRA gear
- Mix mode provides six analog, one digital (stereo), four AIRA (stereo) , and two PC channels through mixer and FX
- External mode provides 18 channels from DAW through mixer and FX (all inputs direct to DAW)
- Control Surface mode for full DAW control via MIDI
- DJ-style cue monitoring, quick mutes, and six fader curves per channel
- Per-channel Tone/Filter knob with ten kinds of EQs, filters, and isolators
- Transport and tempo control with fine, shuffle, and tap-tempo functions
- Instantly save and recall complete setups including all FX configurations